April 24, 2011

Modified 1500 pt GK List & thoughts



Thought I'd throw a post out here while I have some thoughts on units from this relatively new codex. I've gotten two games in with the Grey Knight book and so far I'm finding it enjoyable. Both were vs Larry's Mechanized Dark Eldar, the first being Kill Points - which I took, and the second being capture and control which resulted in a draw. I'm thinking him and I will be experiencing the growing pains of using a new list together, as we both could easily find a few mistakes we made in those games. That being said, 40k shows its prowess as a great game by being something that you can always get better at.

Here's my updated list with my thoughts in italics:
100 Coteaz - this guy allows me to take =I= henchmen as troops and isn't too shabby for his points cost. Sanctuary played a role by preventing some wyches from charging and I can definately see it coming into play more in the future.

100 Banisher w/Eviscerator, 7 Psykers - bumped these guys up to 7 for the higher Strength. Only drawback to this squad is when they fry themselves.
60 Chimera w/Hull Heavy Flamer & Dozer Blade

42 2 Plasma, Flamer - I'm not saying this is the best unit ever but I feel like taking a unit like this could be pretty good in the long run. During the first game I played with them, the KP mission, they simply acted as a mobile firebase in their chimera. Their low numbers didn't come into play because that particular transport didn't get destroyed. The second game I had my purifiers take their chimera and put them with the rest of my firebase on my objective. Their plasma did work, and eventually the flamer guy killed like 5 DE Warriors. So far so good.
60 Chimera w/Hull Heavy Flamer & Dozer Blade

147 3 Banishers w/Eviscerator, Crusader, Flamer, 7 Acolytes - A relatively simple CC troops choice with the ability to carve up armor as well as negate a few saves when it's clutch. The unit is cheap and can fit in a Chimera if I need them to. The flamer is a cheap way to keep them a bit more killy and flexible. Most of the time these guys will slog it up the middle of the battlefield with the transports for cover.

145 Grey Knight Strike Squad w/2 Psycannons, MC Daemonhammer, 2 Nemesis Force Halberds - I was playing these guys as purifiers in the last game but I could tell that they will end up playing more of an anchor to most of my games, shooting and doing cc as a counter-assault unit if need be, so I swapped them over to Strike Squad status to render them scoring. Deep Strike and the ability to hop in a Chimera make the unit versatile.

134 Banisher w/Eviscerator, 2 Jokaero Weaponsmith, Flamer, 5 Acolyte - Jokaero's are cool and they don't seem half bad so far! This is my anchor unit. If I stick Coteaz with them they can be pretty nasty on the 'I've been waiting for you' rule. Very stoked to see a unit with Multi-melta abilty like this and being able to kit the unit out with an Eviscerator and flamer and still keep on the cheap is pretty cool imo. The fact that this unit can just up and move with the rest of my force and still be effective makes this unit one that I'll be watching to see how much I can eek out of them.

150 Dreadnought w/Psybolt Ammunition, Assault Cannon & Missile Launcher - Not the most ideal loadout but hey, it's built and painted so I'm gonna give it a few go arounds. Hasn't been amazing yet but hasn't been bad. S7 Assault Cannons with Rending are cool.

145 Vindicare Assassin - HOly Shit GW!

145 Callidus Assassin - She still seems to be pretty damn good. First game I had her hop out of a unit that was in CC (doing d6 S4 hits during my f-ing movement phase lol) and use her flamer template on another unit. Dipped through a building the next turn due to move through cover and fleet and commenced carvin up some Warriors. Just don't roll horrible on your reserves k thx


270 Dreadknight w/Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword & Personal Teleporter - HOO HOO! Shunt is pretty fricking cool and if you compare this beast to a Demon Prince (which are good imo) it looks even tastier. The Greatsword might not have a million attacks on the charge but the re-rolls (and cool giant sword) are worth it. Get yourself a cover save though kiddos, that 5+ don't last long unless you roll like me.

1498

EDIT: after a few days, here's my further chopped-down list. Found the points for EA on the Chimeras which is pretty necessary imo

100 Coteaz

76 Acolyte, 7 Psykers
75 Chimera w/Hull Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor & Dozer Blade

42 2 Plasma, Flamer
75 Chimera w/Hull Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor & Dozer Blade
147 3 Banishers w/Eviscerator, Crusader, Flamer, 7 Acolytes

140 Grey Knight Strike Squad w/2 Psycannons, Daemonhammer, 2 Nemesis Force Halberds

134 Banisher w/Eviscerator, 2 Jokaero Weaponsmith, Flamer, 5 Acolyte

150 Dreadnought w/Psybolt Ammunition, Assault Cannon & Missile Launcher

145 Vindicare Assassin

145 Callidus Assassin

270 Dreadknight w/Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword & Personal Teleporter

1499




image used without permission from artist

No comments: