March 26, 2009

The battle rages on....

Right before the Eldar painting bug bit me. Mr. Ilg and I manage to play two more games a few weeks ago. The first one was a 1,000 Pt. rematch from the time before. Once more the Dryad and countless Archers spelled doom for my army. The high point for the Dark Elves was a single chariot running down two units in the final turns of the game. Go Lions....

How ever the next game was set up at 2,000 Pts and promised to be a great game. Still putting the finishing touches on my Dark Elves left me with a bit Hero-heavy army. Most of my points sunk into a Level 4 mage with D. Pegasus and the Hydra. Mr. Ilg brought his own Monsters as well in the shape of 2Treemen.

This game was a total disaster from the get go... then end was a loss well earned. Mr. Ilg took advantage of my errors and played a good game. Making my dark elves regret ever raid the woodland in first place.Thoughts....

1. If you spend a quarter of your army list on a single model. For love of Gawd... protect the model. Do not expose such units to unnecessary risk. If the model is a mage do not expect the magic phase to go the way you plan. The first turn I really thought between her and two units of cross bows could at least panic if not cripple a single unit of Hawk Riders....

Wrong!

I've lost a lot of games in my time, but never on the very 1st. turn. It nearly happened here. After the mishap my reward for such hopeful optimism was a return charge form the Hawk riders on my poor magic lady. Only a freak chance of luck does she live and for some reason. Mr Ilg ran away after the failed attempt. I would have stayed and locked her down for the rest of the game...but i think the Hydra sitting to her right there... panicked him at bit.

2.The Manticore is very squishy against the Wood Elves and there not much i can do about it other then use the table to my advantage while i cross the board. Maybe the Ring of Darkness, but thats all the hero's magic allowance. Only once has it made it to wood elf lines... the other two it was blasted from the sky.3. Tree men... not much to say here other than two will make short work of the Hydra every time. Mr. Ilg used them wonderfully and much to my dismay. Solution...Fire magic and Bolt thowers. Even with the charge they just are too tough and have too many wounds.

Great games both, and learned even more about my army each time we play. We have plan up one or two more before he returns to school. I let ya' know how they go.






No comments: